So you have been wanting to cook an Indian style chicken dish but the usually long list of spices, chopping of unlimited onions and frying things in copious amount of oil makes you think, “ May be next time!” Fear not. You are normal. Phew! But you knew that didn’t you?
Okay! let’s try this again. Fear Not! Help is at hand. There – that makes more sense on a recipe blog. So today, we will take a detour from the usual long list of ingredients and tedious methods of cooking. Today we will keep it simple and delicious – just the way Indian home cooking is. Wholesome, nutritious and not very fussy.
With just a few spices and not much fuss, the chicken in yogurt sauce is a fix it and forget it kind of a recipe. Serve it with soft bread or rotis and a side of dal, stir fried greens and enjoy the bliss.
Chicken in Yogurt Sauce – Dahi Murgi
- 1 whole chicken cut into curry style pieces
- 1 C plain low fat yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp hot red chili powder
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves ( slightly crushed)
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or cumin seeds
- Marinate the chicken with turmeric, salt and yogurt for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat up a big dutch oven, add in the chicken along with the marinade, the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves , cover and cook for about 30 minutes on low heat.
- Add in the tomato and chili powder and cook until the tomatoes look all mushy and done. Add in the green cardamom after crushing it slightly.
- Heat the ghee in a separate pan. Add in the mustard seeds / cumin seeds and wait for them to splutter. Add in the garlic and let it change to a nice shade of light brown. Add this tempering to the chicken. Mix it all into the chicken.
- Garnish with freshly cut slices of tomatoes and a little cilantro.
You can also cook this to a drier consistency and put it under the oven broiler for a couple of minutes to make it smoky.