Whole wheat orzo, buttery garbanzo, aromatic olive oil and a touch of herbs and spices- all together as a salad! A quick to make and equally quick to eat deliciousness.
I would like to say that this recipe is open for interpretations. Add in more stuff like grilled chicken or pan seared fish, or (grilled tofu for a vegan/vegetarian dish) change the combination of herbs but do try making it. It is a nutritious recipe and makes for a great work lunch. I used canned garbanzo beans for this recipe.
- 1 C rinsed garbanzo beans
- ¼ C diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs basil Chiffonade ( make this just before serving)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 C al dente whole wheat Orzo
- 1 tsp dried oregano, thyme and mint (all dried … all together)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
Here is the fun part.
- Shake together- salt, pepper, lemon and olive oil to make a vinaigrette
- Mix the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, shallots and orzo.
- Stir in the dried herbs, and the vinaigrette
- Cover and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes
- Serve with the basil chiffonade.
I also add toasted sesame seeds tot he dressing for a nutty crunch!~ enjoy!