The white wine poached pears with lemon mascarpone cheese have been a lot on my mind lately. That the winter pears have almost disappeared from the stores could be one of the reasons or the fact that this fall and winter I didn’t buy as many pears as I normally do. I make poached pears a few times in fall because I can not resist buying them by the dozens when they first hit the market. Once I get them home and can’t eat them all before they over ripen, I poach them and leave them in the fridge to have an elegant dessert ready for the next few days. But this year was different and so I had to make some before the spring time fruits hit the markets.
Any fruit poached in wine is great but white wine poached pears are my favorite.Crisp flavors from the wine paired with the sweetness of the pears is simply divine. And the best part? They are really easy to make but they look incredibly fancy. And they are perfect as a make ahead dessert because the longer you leave them in their poaching liquid the better flavors they absorb. It is a win win on all counts.
This is my simple and easy contribution to our Progressive Eats dinner party. So, Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. This month’s theme is Wine and Cheese and is hosted by Jenni Field, who blogs at Pastry Chef Online. For our Wine and Cheese Theme, everyone has made a recipe that contains wine, cheese or both. We have some sweets for you, some savories and even a refreshing wine-based beverage!
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
We have a core group of 12 bloggers, but we will always need substitutes and if there is enough interest would consider additional groups. To see our upcoming themes and how you can participate, please check out the schedule at Creative Culinary or contact Barb for more information.
- Port Wine Cheese Ball from Pastry Chef Online
- Cheese Fondue Pasta Ragout (Gluten-Free) from The Heritage Cook
- Apricot Riesling Mustard from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Chicken Scallopini from Stetted
- Chicken with Mushrooms in White Wine Sauce from Never Enough Thyme
- Red Wine Jelly from Creative Culinary
- Italian Wine Biscuits from Mother Would Know
- Moscato Zabaglione with Strawberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pears Poached in Wine with Lemon Mascarpone from SpiceRoots
- Mascarpone Cheesecake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sarasota Lemonade from Miss in the Kitchen